For many years, March meant a booming weekend in St. Augustine.
The St. Augustine Celtic Music & Heritage Festival brought music, kilts, Highland Games, food and plenty of Celtic spirit to Francis Field. The St. Patrick Parade filled the streets of the historic district with spectators and made an already busy downtown even busier.
For a taxi driver, that meant traffic.
Lots of traffic.
My advice back then was to book a hotel, bring your dancing shoes and make your transportation plans before arriving. Parking around the parade and festival could be difficult, and thousands of visitors descending on streets designed centuries before the automobile made for some memorable weekends behind the wheel.
I also recommended a few favorite local watering holes, including Ann O'Malley's, Barley Republic, Meehan's Irish Pub and the St. George Tavern.
Sadly, this old blog post has now become a small piece of St. Augustine history.
After a 15-year run, organizers announced the end of the St. Augustine Celtic Music & Heritage Festival and St. Patrick Parade. For years these events brought musicians, Highland athletes, Celtic families and visitors from around the country to the Ancient City.
St. Augustine will continue to celebrate its many cultures and traditions, but those March weekends will be missed.
I'm glad Abraxi Taxi got to drive through some of them.
Abraxi Taxiom: When I park, I think up snark.
No comments:
Post a Comment